In their second grade year, children at St. Bartholomew receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation before receiving First Eucharist. The preparation events and at-home curriculum are designed to give you and your child a deeper understanding of Reconciliation and Eucharist, and their value in our lives as disciples of Jesus Christ. First Reconciliation prepares your children to be properly disposed to receive Our Lord truly present, Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity in the Blessed Sacrament. Preparation at St. Bart’s is as follows:
First Reconciliation (Fall)
- Parent Formation Night: As the primary educators of your children, this parents-only session is designed to help you become more comfortable with the Sacrament of Reconciliation and includes:
- A presentation by Fr. Mike Van Sloun
- An extensive Q & A about the nature of the sacrament and how to present it with confidence to your children
- Parents receive a copy of The Sacrament of Reconciliation: A Sacrament of Healing booklet, their child’s reconciliation workbook, and a family guidebook to assist in preparation
- Parent and Child Activity Day: This Saturday morning event for both parent and child is the culmination of your preparation at home. Together with other families, you will rotate through “learning stations” that will include:
- Practice/role-playing the Rite of Penance
- A guided tour of the Reconciliation Room at St. Bart’s
- Identifying the Commandments
- Examination of conscience role-play
- First Reconciliation Penance Service (Form II): This beautiful Penance Service consists of a Liturgy of the Word led by Fr. Mike followed by individual Confession with multiple confessors available. Parents are encouraged to receive the sacrament after their children.
First Eucharist (Winter/Spring)
- Parent Formation Night: This event will follow the same format as the First Reconciliation Parent Night
- Parent and Child Activity Day: This Saturday morning event for both parent and child is the culmination of your at-home preparation. Together with other families, you will experience learning stations that will include:
- Making a pew banner used to reserve your seats at the First Eucharist Mass
- Making unleavened bread/ understanding the Last Supper
- Guided tours of the sacristy and church
- An opportunity to taste the unconsecrated bread and wine
- Practice: The week before First Eucharist, parents and children gather in the Church to practice the unique parts they will play in the First Eucharist Mass, and review the Rite of Holy Communion
- First Eucharist Masses: Your child will receive First Eucharist at one of the following Masses on First Eucharist Weekend:
- Saturday 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday 8:30 a.m.
- Sunday 10:30 a.m.
Families with children who are in grades 3-12 who would like to receive First Reconciliation and First Eucharist, please contact Andrew Allen at firstname.lastname@example.org, 952-473-6601 (Ext. 203).
Interested in First Reconciliation and First Eucharist for Adults?