The foundation for today's St. Bartholomew Catholic Faith Community was put into motion 90 years ago, when a dozen Wayzata families came together and envisioned a parish of their own. On Oct. 8, 1916, the cornerstone for the small, white stucco church was laid.
In 1955, St. Bartholomew added a school and the first students started in the Fall of 1956. The School Sisters of Notre Dame came from Mankato to staff the new grade one through sixth grade school. Within three years of building the one-story school, a second floor was added.
In 1989, the church and school buildings were tied together by the addition of an expanded narthex and fellowship hall which also serves as the school gymnasium. In 2003 the lower level of the school was rennovated to make two six grade classrooms. The school library was moved to the lower level of the church. This completed the vision for having two classrooms for each grade level.
In the summer of 2007 the school was renovated and updated. The renovation included the addition of a beautiful fine arts center, a new early childhood center, a state of the art library and media center, and fully renovated classrooms. Other important improvements included making the school handicapped accessible on all levels and providing a seperate and secure environment for the school. By creating this high quality learning environment, we have enhanced the daily lives of our students and are better able to prepare them for their future.
In the fall of 2008, the school was evaluated for accreditation renewal. St. Bartholomew received an excellent accreditation report and approval of a seven year plan focused on continued excellence. The committed and dedicated teachers and staff at St. Bartholomew School nourish this strong educational community and continue to challenge themselves and their students for success.